What do indies offer that big bookstores don't? They add the heart to Bookland not just a face.
1) Everyone in an indie is knowledgeable about all the books and you know they loves books as much as you do.
2) The bookstore helps the community thrive and contributes to local businesses. Most local stores give back to the community it lives in.
3) The overall ambiance is different and unique in every store. Not all the same. Books stacked to the ceiling. Some in random piles. The smell of books and newspapers. Small coffee areas. It's like reading at home.
4) They provide a physical place for book discussions and book clubs within your neighborhood.
5) They read the books they order.
So yay! Indie bookstores are slowly starting to carry indie books :) It's hard because of the risk on returns and such but some are starting to sell on consignment and a few are stocking books as well.
What a great partnership! Indie to indie.
If you have a local indie close to you - go to IndieBoung.org to find out which books you can buy.
Even though you can get books through Amazon and B&N, wouldn't it be nice to order book from indies all over the US.
Here is Untraceable's link.
Here's a chance to shout out a cheer for your local bookstore. Leave a link in the comment and tell everyone your favorite indie bookstore?
Display Comments Add a Comment