What is JacketFlap

  • JacketFlap connects you to the work of more than 200,000 authors, illustrators, publishers and other creators of books for Children and Young Adults. The site is updated daily with information about every book, author, illustrator, and publisher in the children's / young adult book industry. Members include published authors and illustrators, librarians, agents, editors, publicists, booksellers, publishers and fans.
    Join now (it's free).

Sort Blog Posts

Sort Posts by:

  • in
    from   

Suggest a Blog

Enter a Blog's Feed URL below and click Submit:

Most Commented Posts

In the past 7 days

Recent Posts

(tagged with 'plow')

Recent Comments

JacketFlap Sponsors

Spread the word about books.
Put this Widget on your blog!
  • Powered by JacketFlap.com

Are you a book Publisher?
Learn about Widgets now!

Advertise on JacketFlap

MyJacketFlap Blogs

  • Login or Register for free to create your own customized page of blog posts from your favorite blogs. You can also add blogs by clicking the "Add to MyJacketFlap" links next to the blog name in each post.

Blog Posts by Date

Click days in this calendar to see posts by day or month
<<November 2014>>
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
      01
02030405060708
09101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30      
new posts in all blogs
Viewing: Blog Posts Tagged with: plow, Most Recent at Top [Help]
Results 1 - 3 of 3
1. A Very Productive Saturday!

For the first time in a long time, I had a free Saturday.  I must have painted for about 8 hours overall (not without interruption, of course). 

I feel like I've spent a lot of time in the first two panels - especially because there were so many complicated issues on the tractor, the figure in the tractor, and the plow that hadn't been resolved.  However, there are a lot of details on these panels that I have yet to do, and they won't happen until the very end.  One of the last things I'll have to do is to get some of these panels exactly side by side with no gaps to make sure things line up. But, for now, I just measure where I can and "eyeball" it when I can't.


I started today by working on the pumpkins again, adjusting some of the shadows and highlights a little.  Then, I moved on to the wave of soil - a larger area of color to troubleshoot and blend.  Once you start working on an area like that, you don't want to stop - gotta keep blending before the paint dries.  And, working on this part took me back into panel #3 again.


Then, I moved on to the cauliflower.  I didn't like the highlight color I had used for the vegetable's leaves in the first layer - too blue.  So, I mixed a bit more yellow in and that worked better.  I also worked on the cauliflower itself, stippling with and a light purple for shading.  There's still detailing to be done or adjusted there.


The last thing I did was to "plant some crops" in the far field.  That took a little extra time because I tried a few different greens before I found something I liked.


I love seeing how everything is starting to build, little by little.

0 Comments on A Very Productive Saturday! as of 5/27/2012 3:24:00 AM
Add a Comment
2. Plowing Away...

I realized yesterday as I was working on the tractor and plow that I really didn't have a firm grasp of the plow-thingy.  I couldn't locate the photo I'd originally referenced and all I had to look at was a crude sketch in ye olde sketchbook.  My drawing experience is limited when it comes to mechanical things (and not high on my list of popular subject matter).  The more I worked on it, the more uncomfortable I became - I was just "wingin' it."


So, I scoured the internet for a good plow photo only to discover that good plow photos are hard to find.  Who knew?  I finally found something to work from - a photo of a toy model John Deere tractor and plow.  Of course, it was orientation and viewpoint, but I could work with that.


This evening, my one painting mission was to solve the plow problem and, at least, get it off to a good start (or restart).  After 2 1/2 hours (time really flies when I'm painting), I'm happy with the change.  I feel like it is a major hurdle that I've overcome.  At least I have a plow that is grounded in reality.

More details to be defined...

And now, I can move on to more "fun" stuff to paint!

0 Comments on Plowing Away... as of 1/1/1900
Add a Comment
3. On the Farm...

The latest changes have been challenging - working on the tractor details.  There was a lot left undone on this panel and there's still a ways to go.  But, I'm off to a good start (if I do say so myself).


The other night, I worked on the driver for quite a while - trying to get the scale right and the appearance of a figure within a glass enclosure.  The struggle here was that I don't have a visual to work from - no photo to check my details.  But, I like the way it's turning out so far...after a few "not" likes.

One thing that I couldn't wait to change was the plowed soil in the foreground.  I had originally put in more precise rows, but I didn't care for the rigidity of it. When I did the tractor study and was a bit more carefree about the landscape, I liked the loose brush strokes and wanted to go more in that direction.  I think the result is in between - there are still rows, but the edges are less defined.

0 Comments on On the Farm... as of 1/1/1900
Add a Comment