I've been working on a couple of different things lately. I've stepped back into the chef panel, doing a little here and a little there. I put in a layer of color on the architectural elements and started the grape leaves creeping across the top. I added a couple of minor veggies and filled in the purple grape at the bottom.
My challenge here was the splash. I originally started using cerulean blue and was horrified - blech! Switching to ultramarine was much better...but, wait a minute! I didn't try pthalo. Might have to try that tomorrow.
Another thing I started was a study of a tree - the type of tree that will go in panels 1 and 2. This is especially challenging because it's a truck load of green, green, and more green. I have 3 different greens in the hillside and another 3 (or more) greens that make up the tree. I'm having to find ways to create contrast, even though in the reference pictures that I'm using, it does blend together at times. I need to work on it a bit and work out the kinks.
|Not very accurate color, but wanted to share |
what I have so far
I think I have a studio guest at night. I'm not sure, but I think it might be this guy:
I've heard him rustling around here and there. I suppose we can share the space for now...so long as he doesn't start using my paints.
Woohoo! I think I've done enough grape leaves for now and I'm ready to move on.
I even worked on the giant leaves behind the figures, but I started to run out of the "highlight" mixture. So, I may still go back to it...but probably on my last pass through of "final touches."
|Darn flash glare! Notice that I added a couple of leaves to|
overlap the grapes.
For now, I think I'll move on to the rest of the panel - giant grape touch up, the female figure's dress, the tabletop (remember, there's supposed to be a bottle of wine there), and I need to fill their glasses. Then, on to the architecture around the chef, floor touch-up, a few more veggies and the splash. It may seem like just a little bit left, but there's still a lot to do in the first couple panels - there are supposed to be trees, details on the pumpkins (more leaves, and stems), and crops growing on the rows under the wave - things like that. But, after that, it's all touch up detailing. There's light at the end of the tunnel.
|Still toasting with empty glasses - hmmmm, white or red?|
Leaves, leaves, and more leaves. I tried working on the mural this afternoon, but it was a bit hot up on the step ladder - heat rises and it is definitely warmer working on the upper part of the mural. So, I waited until it was evening to continue. The downside of that is dealing with the glare of the lights in certain spots while painting. Oh well...
Anyway, I started detailing the grape leaves. Part of me was dreading it (just a little) - there are so many. I still have many more to go, but I'd say I'm about two-thirds done.
|This is how it looked before - leaves just loosely "sketched" in|
As many as there are to do, it is nice to see them being defined more.
|With more detail built up|