In addition to being Black History Month, February also happens to be National Sweet Potato Month! To celebrate, here’s Mama’s Sweet Potato Pie recipe from our book Sweet Potato Pie by Kathleen D. Lindsey:
Mama’s Sweet Potato Pie
*Children will need adult help
1 Extra-flaky Pie Crust (see below)
1-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes (approximately 3 large)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 large eggs
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter or margarine at room temperature
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Peel sweet potatoes and cut into chunks. Boil until tender, about 30 minutes.
3. Drain off water and put hot potatoes into large bowl. Mash potatoes.
4. Add all remaining ingredients except cinnamon and beat sweet potato mixture until smooth.
5. Pour warm filling into pie crust and sprinkle top with cinnamon.
6. Bake for about 1 hour, until filling is firm and crust is golden brown.
7. Let cool on rack.
Mama’s Extra-flaky Pie Crust
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons solid vegetable shortening
1/4 cup cold milk
1. Combine flour and salt in bowl.
2. Add shortening and use pastry blender or fork to cut shortening into flour mixture until crumbly.
3. Add milk and knead dough until soft ball forms.
4. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to form large circle.
5. Place circle of dough into 9-inch pie pan and press dough into corners.
6. Trim off excess dough with knife. Use fork to press down around rim of pan to create decorative edge.
Enjoy! And if you’ve got other favorite sweet potato recipes, feel free to share ‘em in the comments below.
Filed under: Musings & Ponderings Tagged: African/African American Interest, flaky pie crust, food, Sweet Potato Pie, sweet potato pie recipe, sweet potato recipes 0 Comments on Mama’s Sweet Potato Pie Recipe as of 2/23/2012 9:57:00 AM