To all the dads out there, here's wishing you a happy Father's Day surrounded by people who care about you. If you're looking for a poem to share to celebrate dad, here's a list of poetry books about fathers (lifted from my latest book, The Poetry Teacher's Book of Lists). There are plenty to choose from!
Poetry Books about Fathers
Although mothers get many poetic tributes, fathers deserve their chance, too. Whether itâ€™s for Fatherâ€™s Day, dadâ€™s birthday, or other occasions, sharing a poem with a focus on fathers can make for a memorable moment.
- Appelt, Kathi. 2004. My Fatherâ€™s Summers: A Daughterâ€™s Memoirs. New York: Henry Holt.
- Clifton, Lucille. 1983. Everett Anderson's Goodbye. New York: Holt, Rinehart, and Winston.
- Fletcher, Ralph J. 1999. Relatively Speaking: Poems about Family. New York: Orchard.
- Grimes, Nikki. 1999. Hopscotch Love: A Family Treasury of Love Poems. New York: Lothrop, Lee & Shepard.
- Grimes, Nikki. 1999. My Man Blue: Poems. New York: Dial Books.
- Grimes, Nikki. 2002. When Daddy Prays. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans.
- Hoberman, Mary Ann. 1991. Fathers, Mothers, Sisters, Brothers: A Collection of Family Poems. Boston: Joy Street.
- Hoberman, Mary Ann. 2009. All Kinds of Families. New York: Little, Brown.
- Hollyer, Belinda. 2003. Ed. The Kingfisher Book of Family Poems. New York: Kingfisher.
- Hopkins, Lee Bennett. 2005. Ed. Days to Celebrate: A Full Year of Poetry, People, Holidays, History, Fascinating Facts, and More. New York: Greenwillow.
- Livingston, Myra Cohn. Ed. 1989. Poems for Fathers. New York: Holiday House.
- Micklos, John Jr. 2000. Daddy Poems. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills.
- Moss, Jeff. 1997. The Dad of the Dad of the Dad of Your Dad. New York: Ballantine.
- Rosenberg, Liz. 2001. Roots & Flowers: Poets and Poems on Family. New York: Henry Holt.
- Sidman, Joyce. 2000. Just Us Two: Poems about Animal Dads. Brookfield: Millbrook.
- Smith, Hope Anita. 2003. The Way a Door Closes. New York: Henry Holt.
- Smith, Hope Anita. 2008. Keeping the Night Watch. New York: Henry Holt.
- Steptoe, Javaka. Ed. 1997. In Daddy's Arms I Am Tall: African Americans Celebrating Fathers. New York: Lee & Low Books.
- Strickland, Dorothy S. and Michael R. Strickland. Eds. 1994. Families: Poems Celebrating the African-American Experience. Honesdale, PA: Wordsong/Boyds Mills.
Please let me know if I missed any of your favorites. And for more on The Poetry Teach Display Comments Add a Comment